Sunday, April 14, 2013

Justify My Love

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tomb%20raider%202012
     As a Christian we are suppose to be in the world, but not of it, and for me that is one of the hardest things that I struggle with daily. There are things in my everyday life that do not glorify God, or even come close to it. Some people wouldn't think of it, but it is somewhat difficult to be a nerd and a Christian at the same time. A lot of things in the nerd world conflict with the Christian worldview and could even be considered blasphemous.

http://captain-brushpen.deviantart.com/art/Early-experiments
     How do I tell other Christians that one of my favorite video games is one where you are trying to survive on an island while mercilessly killing off enemies who are part of a crazy cult? Did I mention that said cult practices human sacrifice? How do I tell other Christians that my favorite series of books is about private detective who is also a wizard that had a remnant of a demon riding along in his head for a a while? Should I mention that having that demon in his head made him capable of using magic that had a touch of brimstone to it? Or should I mention that his brother is a vampire who has incubus like powers and feeds off of women's "bedroom vibes"?


www.sodhead.com
And how in the world do I justify to other Christians that my favorite weekly television show is about two brothers that go around the country hunting supernatural predators including; Demons, vampires, changelings, ghosts, sometimes angels. Speaking of the angels in this show most of them are d-bags except for one. God is constantly absent and has left a mess basically. Not to mention if the brothers need to summon help or bind a supernatural foe they use occult spells that involve their blood and things that some might think unsavory. It's probably the most blasphemous show on network television in religious terms.

      I've mentioned before in at least two other blog entries that I grew up going to church all of my life and that in the 1980s there was a particular movement by churches to warn us about worldly influences. Church leaders criticized the music industry and Hollywood. Then of course there was the explosion of AIDS and church leaders were quick to say that these diagnoses were the result of living a worldly lifestyle. In part they may have been right back then, but the delivery of such a message was awful. What does that have to do with this blog entry? Well, I think people who started out in that era and have the same interests that I do might have a great sense of conflict within them as a result of past dogmas they've experienced.

     I've come to an age now where I really want to explore my faith and grow in it. Doing so questions have arisen like "Are these interests helping me or hindering me?" and "Are people going to consider me a hypocrite for talking about God to them and finding out I like Harry Potter?" I admit that while searching for Bible verses to help me with this dilemma I didn't find what I hoped for initially. What I did find farther down the list was verses about loving your neighbor and treating them with kindness and showing Christ's love for them. I want to be a beacon for others to lead them to God, but I have to remember that too much piety is a downfall. Nobody likes someone with a "holier than thou" attitude, it is often a turn off. I also remembered that I in fact am a human being who is not perfect. So of course I want to be a beacon, but I also want to relate to others so that they can relate to me in a sense where I could possibly draw them in and share my faith with them.
www.thefilteredlens.com
     I also feel a strong sense of duty to fight against the stereotypes of Christians have been given(through no fault of our own sometimes) so that we can have a better chance to witness to others. I remember at the beginning of the new millennium everyone was nuts for Harry Potter and they were excited for the first film to come out. There were Christians that came out of the woodwork right away and condemned the film because of the subject of magic/witchcraft and I admit I was one of them. I was all Evil This and Evil That, but then one of my friends who also happened to be a Christian said that I should actually read the book or see the movie to at least give it a chance. I pretty much immediately fell in love with it. I was an idiot to judge it especially after reading the whole series and realizing that the magic is secondary to the actual story. That's when I realized using that kind of judgement while practicing Christianity can be a poison and can hurt your work with God. Oswald Chambers author of "My Utmost for His Highest" says that every way we serve God hurts him. Ouch! When I read that it shocked me. So you can imagine how much it hurts God by judging others when it is not our place.

     By then it was to late for me anyways. I was already a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind, The Lord of the Rings(of course), The Chronicles of Narnia, and a huge fan of Indiana Jones. They had cemented my interests in the nerd world and they had all given me stories and characters to love. So, I don't have to justify the fact that my favorite literary hero is a wizard P.I. with an unshakable moral center. I don't have to justify to others that my favorite weekly show is about how strong the bonds of family are between two brothers. Other's don't have to justify to me loving a masterfully written story about a boy wizard who does all he can to stop the forces of evil and to do the right thing, not just the proper thing. God gave us brains did he not? So why not use your imagination which is a result of having a brain. Another thing, I am an adult, I know how to separate reality from fantasy. In the eighties and nineties some preachers were worried about the effects some shows and books would have on our children, but if one is a parent it is that person's responsibility to teach the difference from what is fact and what is fiction.

    If you are a Christian and are feeling conflicted than maybe there is a deeper issue. Maybe the Holy Spirit is knocking at your door and asking where you have been. Are you seeking the Kingdom of God first? After all the Bible says that you cannot serve two masters. After you put God first, and fully commit to keep him first, than hopefully all of those tensions will ease. You'll remember there is only one Judge instead of worrying about what others might think. You'll remember that He has loved you with an everlasting love. You'll remember that God made you an individual. He gave you a soul, He gave you a brain and He gave you an imagination so don't be afraid to accept it. Live long and prosper!
 

    

    



 

1 comment:

  1. I've gone over these sorts of ideas myself in the last few years and, you're right, there are unique moral challenges to being a nerd. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete